i feel like this is the most cruel thing ive ever done
talk street magic to me
drawing power from the metro lines
illusionists busking illegally, shimmering lights disintegrating as they run
plant mages tending tiny rooftop and windowbox gardens
elementary school kids learning basic sigils on the playground
2014 was one of those years that started out like “THIS IS GOING TO BE GREAT!!!” and its halfway through and we have a war going on, a deadly disease has been spread, countless shootings have happened, racism is alive, more people have been leaving living things inside of hot cars, and robin williams is fucking dead
That’s true, but you know what else is true?
Over 60 girls and women captured in Nigeria have escaped. We are so much closer to curing HIV and AIDS. Uganda has decriminalized homosexuality (which was punishable by death). Two US states have legalized gay marriage this year (making it 19 states with marriage equality in total), and 12 have struck down their bans and are awaiting approval. We’re fighting racism and sexism as hard as ever, and more and more representation is available for us in the media. More young people are becoming aware of the great injustice in this world. This war is gonna end soon. An 8-year-old girl has become the first to beat brain cancer. Robin Williams is dead, but he left nothing but laughter and happiness and truth as his legacy. More and more soldiers are coming home to their families. More children are going to go college this year than ever, and that rate is only ever increasing. More girls in the Middle East are going to school, and standing up for their rights, thanks to Malala. Young girls are inventing more and more things that are fucking revolutionizing our world, from everywhere- even in places you don’t expect them to come from.
Today, millions of people will have babies, and kiss the loves of their lives, and get married, and hold hands, and sing in the shower, and have sex, and read books, and laugh (billions of people will laugh today), and tell secrets, and dance, and dream, and get promotions, and write, and draw, and fall in love.
I know it doesn’t seem like it. I know that you’re tired of this. But have faith. Things are getting better. Believe in humanity. We have come this far. We’re not gonna give up yet.
YOU ARE AMAZING THANK YOU
woah this was like a soft cloud of happiness punching my whole body into a soft hug
Holland’s article in Seventeen Magazine (September 2014)
Hey, y’all, it’s giveaway time!
It’s been a long time since I’ve done a giveaway for anything, but now is the perfect time, because Sparkler Monthly is having a membership drive this month as they enter year 2, and I want to give some folks the joy of Sparkler membership.
What is Sparkler Monthly, you ask? It’s a multimedia digital magazine for English-language fiction works aimed primarily at girls and women 15+, or anyone who’s interested in comics, prose, and audio catering to the female gaze. I believe in this mission and want them to be able to keep bringing us amazing stories like off*beat, Awake, Dead Endings, and more.
The first chapter of every Sparkler series is always free to read or listen to, and you can check out all the first chapters from year 1 here. There’s such a great variety, almost everyone should find something that they love.
So what do you have to do? Like and/or reblog this post! You don’t have to be following me to win (although if you want to follow me, awesome!), and you can reblog as many times as you want. (Do not delete or alter any text or links in this post. No giveaway blogs. I will check before confirming the winners.)
There will be 3 winners, and each will receive a Year+ membership to Sparkler Monthly (US$50 value), which will give you a 1-year subscription and a free ebook from the Sparkler shop (excluding Sparkler Distro titles). Winners will be chosen through random.org when the giveaway closes. Prizes will be in the form of a discount code sent to the winners via private message, so please make sure your ask box is open so that you can be contacted if you win. If a winner cannot be contacted or does not respond within 48 hours, a new one will be selected.
If you’re seeing this post but you’re not interested in the giveaway, I still encourage you to spread the word about Sparkler if you know others who might like to check out any of their amazing series.
If you don’t win, I also encourage you to support Sparkler if you’re able. The more subscribers they get during the membership drive, the more awesome stuff they’ll be able to unlock. And don’t forget to check out the sparklermonthly tumblr!
Giveaway ends 11:59pm CDT August 23, 2014!
Our fans are the best fans. :-)
Weekend reminder reblog for my followers, because senpai noticed me. (^///^)
Was taking random pictures of my mother and this came out…pretty terrifying
It’s time for the very first Queer Comics giveaway contest! We’re really excited to see who’s out there and excited about queer comics and comic creators, and the contest is pretty damn important too. Do you want to see comics made by and about people who are #queerlikeme and you? Share with us!
You could win one or all of the comics above and more:
- A copy of Batgirl #19 by Gail Simone, with our favorite bisexual BFF from the batgirl series, Alysia Yeoh. This is her coming out issue, as well as a very tense issue for the Gordon family.
- Multiple issues of the diverse and super-queer Young Avengers series by Kieron Gillen, including #11 (shown), #13, and #6.
- Issues of The Movement by Gail Simone, featuring multiple queer (and queer readable) young adult characters.
- A whole bunch of our favorite new comic The Pride by Joe Glass, which features a whole cast and crew of queer characters, playing for and against stereotypes and labels and generally just being its own marking stone in LGBT comics.
- A near mint original copy of Engima #1 by Peter Milligan and Duncan Fegredo, featuring one of the best superhero m/m romances in comics to date from the early 90s.
- And a whole lot more! Comics featuring queer and queer-interpreted characters like Deadpool, Harley Quinn, Red Sonja, Hercules, Wonder Woman, and the Wolverine.
And here’re the nuts and bolts:
- The giveaway is open to everyone, international or from the United States.
- This contest (whether it’s first wave, or the whole shebang, will end August 23nd at 10pm EST.
- Your selfie (if you post one) should have about a sentence worth of your thoughts on queer rep, or your own identity, and the phrase/hashtag “#queerlikeme.”
If you enter from twitter:
- You gotta be following queercomics’ tweets (or you won’t see who wins!).
- You should ‘@ reply’ us in your tweet if you can, and you must tag it #queerlikeme somewhere in the body.
If you enter from Tumblr:
- You must be following queercomicsblog to win.
- You must reblog this post.
- You can reblog as many times and as often as you want.
- Tag your seflie/thoughts about queer representation in comics #queerlikeme and #queercomics.
- Reblogs = one entry into the single comics giveaway (up to four comics of ever type, plus a special tumblr-exclusive surprise.) Photo/text entries = two additional entries and a chance to win the whole set.